Emma and Tom Have Chosen The Beautiful, Historic Wick Farm
Emma and Tom have chosen the beautiful, historic Wick Farm in Frome as the venue for their traditional wedding celebration. This charming venue offers the perfect combination of rustic ambience and modern amenities for an unforgettable wedding day.
About Wick Farm
Wick Farm is a stunning wedding venue set on a sprawling 500-acre estate in the Somerset countryside. This family-run farm has been operating for over 50 years and has hosted hundreds of weddings.
The main barn building dates back over 300 years and has been thoughtfully renovated to provide a spacious and attractive wedding venue. With its exposed stone walls, wooden beams, and crystal chandeliers, it retains the rustic charm of an old English barn while offering contemporary amenities.
- Seats up to 120 guests
- In-house catering and bar service
- Bridal suite for preparations
- Across, garden, amazing views
- Thatched cottages for guests
- Luxury bathrooms
- Disabled access and facilities
- Free parking for all guests
- Romantic, photo-friendly setting
Surrounding the barn and courtyard area is 500 acres of stunning grounds, including meadows, gardens, and woodlands. There are so many beautiful backdrops for wedding photos at Wick Farm!
Venue Features and Amenities
Wick Farm has all the necessary amenities to make a wedding run smoothly.
- Bridal Suite – An elegant suite for the bride and her attendants to get ready in comfort. It’s filled with natural light and has a vanity area and a private bathroom.
- Grooms’ Den – A private space for the groom and groomsmen to relax and prepare for the ceremony.
- Catering – Wick Farm offers in-house catering with customized wedding menu packages. Their experienced chef uses fresh, local ingredients to create delicious cuisine.
- Bar – The venue has a well-stocked bar with a wide range of beers, wines, spirits, and non-alcoholic drinks. Bartenders are provided.
- Tables, Chairs, Linens – Wick Farm provides everything you need for seating and decorating your reception. Their chiavari chairs add an elegant touch.
- Lighting – From fairy lights to lanterns to LED uplighting, lighting transforms the space for evening celebrations.
- Sound System – Bring your own playlist or hire a DJ – Wick Farm provides a quality sound system.
- Free Parking – There is ample free parking on-site for all your guests.
The experienced staff at Wick Farm will be on hand throughout your wedding to make sure everything runs smoothly.
Accommodation at Wick Farm
One of the most appealing features of Wick Farm is the accommodation available on-site. There are a few different lodging options to suit your guests:
- Thatched Cottages – Two quintessential English cottages each with multiple bedrooms, ideal for family groups.
- Wick House B&B – Charming farmhouse rooms and suites decorated in English country style.
- Glamping Pods – Fun glamping pods that can sleep up to 4 guests, perfect for glamping wedding guests.
Having accommodation at your wedding venue means guests can easily relax and enjoy themselves without having to worry about transportation. The bridal party can stay on-site from the night before the wedding, and other guests can make an entire weekend out of their stay.
Flowers and Decor at Wick Farm
With its exposed wood and stone, Wick Farm offers a wonderful rustic-chic backdrop for wedding flowers and decor. Some style ideas that would suit the venue perfectly:
- Fresh, seasonal flower arrangements in white and greens
- Mason jars and vintage-style vases overflowing with blooms
- Garlands of greenery and flowers wrapping beams and banisters
- Rustic wooden accents like slices of tree trunks and branches
- Tea lights and candle lanterns for cozy mood lighting
- Fairy lights twinkling overhead and outside
- Linens in natural hues like ecru and ivory
- Outdoor lawn games like giant Jenga or cornhole
Work with your wedding florist to design floral arrangements and bouquets featuring seasonal blooms like peonies, hydrangea, roses, dahlias, and more. The possibilities for beautiful, charming decor are endless!
Transportation and Parking
One major advantage of having your wedding at Wick Farm is that parking is free and abundant for all of your guests. There is plenty of space for everyone to park on-site so transportation logistics are simplified.
For the wedding party, here are some transportation options to consider:
- Vintage or classic car – Arrive in style by renting a show-stopping vintage vehicle like a Rolls Royce or Bentley. Perfect for grand entrances and exits!
- Horse-drawn carriage – A fairytale touch – arrive at the ceremony by horse and carriage. Wick Farm’s roads and grounds are ideal.
- Minibus shuttle – Provide a shuttle service to transport guests from designated pickup spots to the venue if they prefer not to drive.
Guests who are staying on-site at the cottages or B&B will appreciate the convenience of being able to simply walk around the venue.
Timeline and Schedule
Here is a sample timeline that includes ideal times for various wedding events throughout your special day:
8 AM – Hair and Makeup begin for Bridal Party in Bridal Suite
10:30 AM – Light refreshments and toast for Bridal Party
11:30 AM – Wedding ceremony
12:30 PM – Cocktail hour with passed hors d’oeuvres
1:30 PM – Wedding breakfast served
3:00 PM – Toasts and first dances
3:30 PM – Cake cutting
4:00 PM – More dancing and mingling
6:00 PM – Evening guests begin arriving
7:00 PM – Buffet dinner served
8:00 PM – Evening celebrations really get started! Dancing, photo booth, games.
Build buffer time between events to allow for photos, transitions, and unexpected delays. Discuss the schedule with your coordinator and other vendors so everyone is on the same page.
Catering and Menu Ideas
Wick Farm offers several wedding catering packages to suit your taste and budget. Their experienced on-site chef will prepare and serve up a delicious feast using fresh, seasonal ingredients.
Some menu ideas that would be perfect for your traditional English wedding:
Wedding Breakfast Menu
- Passed hors d’oeuvres (smoked salmon blinis, mini Yorkshire puddings etc.)
- Salad course (mixed garden salad, creamy dressings)
- Entree choices:
- Rosemary and thyme roasted chicken breast
- Baked salmon with lemon and dill
- Carved roasted beef tenderloin
- Sides: roasted potatoes, fresh vegetables
- Rolls with butter
- Dessert: a trio of miniature desserts – lemon tart, chocolate pot, fruit panna cotta
Evening Reception Menu
- Selection of pizzas
- Fish and chips cones
- Mini meat pies
- Cheese display
- Fruit platter
Late-night snacks like wood-fired pizzas and fish and chips cater to more casual evening guests who may not have attended the daytime celebrations.
Discuss menus with the chef. You can mix and match options or customize them entirely. Wick Farm is very flexible.
Drinks and Bar Service
Wick Farm offers bar packages with a wide selection of drinks:
- Sparkling wine – for reception toasts
- Red, white, and rosé wine – offer at least 1 choice of each
- Champagne – for wedding breakfast toasts
- Beer – British ales plus lagers like Stella Artois
- Liquor – whiskey, vodka, gin, rum, etc.
- Non-alcoholic – juices, sodas, sparkling water
Signature cocktails are a fun addition and often incorporate ingredients reflecting the couple. The bar staff can even create personalized cocktails in your honor to serve your guests.
Wick Farm allows you to run a tab at the bar or offer drink tickets that guests can exchange for beverages. You can choose a package based on hourly service or a number of drinks.
Entertainment and Music
English weddings are all about celebrating and bringing people together over good music! Here are some entertainment options that would be perfect for your wedding:
- Live band – A fun cover band or swing band encourages dancing and brings energy. They can learn your first dance song.
- DJ – Experienced wedding DJs know how to read the crowd and keep the dance floor packed all night.
- Lawn games – Outdoor games like croquet, lawn bowls, and giant Jenga are perfect for the Wick Farm gardens.
- Photo booth – Capture candid shots of your guests. Props and backdrops make it extra fun!
- Fireworks – Light up the night sky with a dazzling fireworks show (when permitted).
Work with your coordinator to schedule entertainment and music choices that fit your vision for each segment of the big day – ceremony, cocktails, reception, and dancing.
Overall Vision and Style
With Wick Farm’s charming exposed beams, stone walls, courtyards, and lush surrounding countryside, couples have the perfect backdrop for an elegantly rustic English wedding.
Some additional ways to complement the rustic ambiance:
- Casual flower arrangements in mason jars, pots, and wildflower bundles
- Textured linens and runners on tables
- Classic navy or grey suits for gents
- Pretty tea-length dresses for bridesmaids
- Menus written on chalkboards or vintage mirrors
- Outdoor lawn games
- Paper lanterns and glittering fairy lights
Emma and Tom can work with their wedding planner to choose design elements, colors, and details that bring their vision for a traditional English wedding to life. With countless possibilities for a unique, personalized celebration, Wick Farm is the ideal venue for crafting a magical wedding experience.
Working with Your Wedding Photographer
Your wedding photographer will become one of your most important vendors as they document your entire celebration. When choosing a wedding photographer for your big day, you’ll want someone experienced who understands your needs.
Michael For The FX Works is an award-winning wedding photographer based in Bath who has photographed dozens of weddings at Wick Farm over his 25+ year career. His laidback approach puts couples at ease, allowing him to capture candid emotions and joy.
A quality wedding photographer like Michael will…
- Have an extensive portfolio showcasing their versatility across different weddings. Look for beautiful composition, expert use of lighting, and the ability to capture expressions and movement.
- Offer customizable packages to meet your exact photography needs on the big day. Whether you want soft, natural coverage or a mix of traditional and photojournalistic styles, they can deliver.
- Provide options – like an engagement shoot, extra hours, or specialty albums – to preserve your memories beyond the wedding day.
- Get to know you as a couple during the planning process so they understand how to best photograph your personalities, priorities, and unique bond.
- Scout and understand the venue, knowing the best spots for portraits as well as navigating crowds.
- Keep you at ease throughout a long day, blending into the background as they document real joy and spontaneity.
Photography is one of the key ways your wedding memories will be preserved for a lifetime, so invest in an experienced wedding photographer whose style resonates. Michael’s familiarity with Wick Farm coupled with his skill, professionalism, and warm demeanor make him a perfect fit to capture all the special moments of your wedding celebrations.
Additional Tips and Advice
Here are some final tips and words of wisdom to help your wedding at Wick Farm run smoothly:
- Have a day-of coordinator to orchestrate vendors so you get to relax and enjoy your day.
- Provide umbrellas, warm blankets, or heat lamps during outdoor events in case the weather turns.
- Make a detailed wedding weekend schedule and share it with all vendors. Allow ample time for vendor setup/breakdown.
- For guest accommodations, create welcome bags with water, snacks, schedules, and area recommendations.
- Hire security personnel to gently enforce rules if your crowd gets rowdy.
- Consider providing late-night snacks and non-alcoholic drinks for guests before the after party winds down.
- Build in some private time as a newlywed couple to bask in the joy of your marriage before the wedding aftermath sets in.
- Have a comfortable pair of shoes for dancing the night away after heels become too painful.
- Hire or delegate someone to handle wedding day emergencies so you can focus solely on getting married.
Most importantly, remember what the day is really about – celebrating your love and commitment to each other with your closest friends and family. Stay present in each moment so you can fully cherish every memory being made. Wick Farm’s spectacular setting combined with personalized details will ensure your wedding is the charming, heartfelt celebration you’ve been dreaming of!
More Wedding Planning Resources
Be sure to check out these additional resources for wedding planning tips and inspiration:
- The Knot – Comprehensive site with vendor listings, planning tools, and articles on wedding etiquette, decor, and more.
- Brides – Popular bridal magazine website featuring real weddings, trends, and expert advice.
- Style Me Pretty – Showcases gorgeous real weddings and offers planning guidance.
- WeddingWire – Wedding planning site with review listings for venues and vendors plus helpful tools.