Nestled in the picturesque Somerset countryside near Frome, Orchardleigh House provided the perfect setting for Julie and Oliver’s mix of Vietnamese and English wedding traditions. The couple brought together the best of both cultures for a unique and meaningful celebration of their love.
The Venue: Orchardleigh House and Estate
- Built-in the early 1800s, Orchardleigh House is a stunning Grade I listed Georgian manor house set on a 500-acre estate.
- With its manicured gardens, rolling parkland, and Georgian architecture, it provided a romantic and refined setting for Julie and Oliver’s wedding.
- The house has been restored and renovated over the years and combines period details with modern amenities.
- There are 19 luxurious bedrooms in the main house and lakeside lodges on the estate grounds to accommodate wedding guests.
- The venue can host both indoor and outdoor weddings, with multiple ceremony and reception sites to choose from.
- The Hundred Steps lead down from the house to a special lakeside pavilion—the perfect spot for an intimate waterside ceremony.
- The venue has an experienced team to coordinate weddings and on-site catering for receptions.
- Guests praised the attentive service and fine dining menu using locally-sourced ingredients.
- The estate offers ample parking, accommodation, and accessibility options.
Timeline and Ceremony
- Guests arrived in the late morning and gathered on the front lawn for the ceremony.
- Julie and Oliver chose to have both a Vietnamese tea ceremony and an English ceremony one after the other.
- For the Vietnamese tea ceremony, Julie wore an elegant red áo dài dress and Oliver wore a traditional Vietnamese groom’s outfit.
- Family members participated by presenting tea, gifts, and well wishes.
- After the tea ceremony, chairs were set up on the lawn for the Western-style ceremony.
- Julie changed into a lace wedding gown with a cathedral-length veil.
- Oliver wore a navy morning suit with an orange boutonniere to complement Julie’s bouquet.
- They exchanged personal vows under a floral archway on the front lawn, overlooking the estate.
- After being pronounced husband and wife, the newlyweds recessed down the aisle followed by their wedding party.
Decor and Floral Design
- Julie and Oliver wanted to blend Vietnamese and English floral traditions.
- Local florist Petals and Posies helped bring their vision to life.
- The aisle was lined with hydrangeas, garden roses, and magnolia leaves.
- Bamboo, orchids, and lotus flowers added Asian flair.
- Centerpieces featured green cymbidium orchids and curly willow.
- Vietnamese lanterns hung above reception tables.
- The wedding cake had four tiers decorated with cascading orchids and light green fondant.
- Julie’s bouquet contained phalaenopsis orchids, garden roses, and jasmine.
Catering and Evening Reception
- The on-site catering team at Orchardleigh House prepared a fusion menu for the wedding breakfast.
- Guests were treated to starters of Vietnamese spring rolls and salads.
- The main course was a choice of roasted chicken or salmon with ginger and lemongrass.
- Sides included coconut rice and stir-fried Asian greens.
- Dessert was a passionfruit cheesecake or chocolate mousse.
- Petersham Nurseries provided artisan teas and coffees.
- In the evening, guests enjoyed traditional Vietnamese street food.
- Stalls were set up on the lawn offering banh mi sandwiches, pho noodle soup, and spring rolls.
- Friends of the couple performed acoustic music during the reception.
- Later, a DJ played pop hits and Vietnamese love songs for dancing.
- The evening ended with a stunning fireworks display over the lake.
- Julie and Oliver selected award-winning wedding photographer Michael Gane to capture their special day.
- Michael is known for his documentary approach and for capturing emotive moments as they unfold.
- He utilizes natural lighting and a mix of posed and candid shots.
- Michael and his team photographed the dual ceremonies, portraits on the estate grounds, and reception.
- The photos showcase the fusion of cultures through dress, decor, and traditions.
- Vibrant images of Vietnamese blooms complement soft English floral arrangements.
- Michael’s signature style shines through in poignant black-and-white portraits.
- Candlelit reception photos exude romance and joy.
- Michael’s professionalism, creativity, and unobtrusive approach produced stunning wedding photos for Julie and Oliver to cherish.
Julie and Oliver’s mix of Vietnamese and English wedding traditions came together seamlessly for an unforgettable celebration at Orchardleigh House. The blend of cultures reflected their heritage and relationship in a meaningful way that delighted and moved their guests. With stunning floral designs, elegant cuisine, and heartfelt ceremonies, their wedding day was filled with beauty, love, and community. Award-winning photographer Michael Gane of Wedding Photography Frome and Wedding Photography Bath perfectly captured all the joyous and touching moments of their special day in his signature documentary style.
For couples planning their own weddings, here are some additional resources for inspiration and guidance:
- The Knot – Comprehensive wedding planning resource with vendor directories, tools, and articles.
- Brides – Bridal magazine website with real weddings, trends, and planning advice.
- Martha Stewart Weddings – Creative wedding ideas and planning tips.
- Style Me Pretty – Real wedding inspiration from around the world.
- WeddingWire – Wedding planning website with vendor listings, tools, and forums.